The history of Glenavy dates back to St Patrick. The Patron Saint founded a church, which is believed to have been located close to where the present Pigeontown Road meets the road leaving Glenavy Village. This church was placed in the care of one of his faithful followers, Daniel. As Daniel was small in stature he was referred to as a dwarf, hence the name ‘The Church of the Dwarf’ (Lann Abhaich). This name soon became written as pronounced, ‘Lannaway,’ and by 1661 the word was prefixed with a ‘G’ and became Glanaway – hence Glenavy.